North Carolina Department of Transportation

Report a problem

To report a Pothole, Culvert Blockage, Drainage Issue, Guardrail Repair, Debris, Traffic light malfunction, Damaged/missing Signage, or Shoulder Problem, use our Contact Us form.

We'll route your request to the NCDOT team member who can assist.

We can help you with that pothole.

In order to process your request, please provide the following:

Locate it

Describe it

Additional details

Submit it

We'll email your tracking number to this address. Please see our privacy policy for information about email usage.

After you submit your request, you will receive a confirmation number, and options for communication and tracking.

Rather give us a call?

For DMV questions



Call the DMV directly, or use the DMV Contact Form.

For all other questions




The Customer Service Office answers the department's toll-free customer service line, from 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended hours as necessary for emergencies. For emergencies. please call 911.