The Greenville Southwest Bypass Project evaluated possible improvements to the Stantonsburg Road (US 264 Business)/Memorial Drive (NC 11) corridor in Pitt County, southwest of the city of Greenville. The selected alternative for this project consists of a new, eleven-mile, controlled-access facility that begins at Memorial Drive (NC 11) approximately 2.9 miles south of NC 102 and ends at the existing US264 interchange.
News and Updates
The construction schedule for the Greenville Southwest Bypass Project (TIP No. R-2250) has been updated. As of September 2013, right-of-way acquisition for all three sections of the project are scheduled to begin in June 2014. In addition, NCDOT will award design-build construction contracts for all three sections of the project in June 2014. By doing this, the final design of the project can proceed while the department acquires the needed right-of-way.
The project is divided into three sections:
- Section A extends from N.C. 11 in Ayden to just south of N.C. 102.
- Section B is located between N.C. 102 and Forlines Road.
- Section C is located between Forlines Road and U.S. 264.
Project Overview and Purpose
The purpose of this project is to:
- Improve traffic flow and congestion on Memorial Drive (NC 11) and Stantonsburg Road (US 264 Business) within the project area;
- Relieve congestion in Greenville, thereby improving safety and reducing the potential for accidents; and
- Improve regional travel along the US 264/NC 11 corridor.
In 2008, NCDOT completed the planning work for the project with the release of the Record of Decision, which provides details about what the selected alternative is and why it was chosen. A public hearing was held in November 2008 to give the public a chance to review the updated project design. The maps that were presented at that public hearing can be found here.
The Final Environmental Impact Statement, completed in December 2007, details all of the alternatives that were studied as part of the project as well as all of the impacts of each alternative.
Final Environmental Impact Statement
Beth Smyre, P.E.
Project Planning Engineer
- Phone: (919) 707-6043
- Email: Contact Us
- Address: 1548 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1548
John Rouse, P.E.
Division 2 Engineer
- Phone: (252) 439-2800
- Email: Contact Us
- Address: 105 Pactolus Hwy. (NC 33), Greenville, NC 27835
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.