This project is necessary to widen N.C. 73 from two lanes to four lanes with center turn lanes from west if U.S. 21 to east of N.C. 115. Also, a quadrant left will be placed at the intersection of N.C. 73 and N.C. 21.
News and Updates
N.C. 73 has been widened to 4 lanes. The department is waiting for the temperatures to increase so the final layer of pavement can be placed on the newly widened lanes of N.C. 73. Once the pavement is in place, the department will add pavement markings and open all lanes to traffic in April.
Once all lanes are open to traffic, motorists will use the new quadrant left to access U.S. 21. Motorists traveling N.C. 73 East will not be able to make a direct left turn onto U.S. 21 North. Motorists needing to access U.S. 21 will continue straight through the U.S. 21 intersection, turn right onto Holly Point Drive, and then turn right onto U.S. 21 North.
Motorists traveling west on N.C. 73 will not be able to make direct left turn onto U.S. 21 South. Prior to the N.C. 73/U.S. 21 intersection, motorists needing to access U.S. 21 South will turn left onto Holly Point Drive, and then turn left onto U.S. 21 South.
Motorists traveling U.S. 21 will use the same traffic pattern. Motorists exiting off of I-77 North needing to access both directions of U.S. 21 will stay in the right lane on the off-ramp, turn right onto N.C. 73 East. Motorists heading U.S. 21 South will turn right as they currently do. Motorists heading U.S. 21 North will proceed to Holly Point Drive. Motorists will take a right onto Holly Point Drive and then turn right onto U.S. 21 North.
To see how the new quadrant left intersection works, see the Projects Visualization section below.
- Project is near I-77
- Lanes on I-77 ramps can not be closed Monday through Friday between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. or Saturday through Sunday between 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Lanes on N.C. 73, N.C. 115 and U.S. 21 can not be closed Monday through Friday between the hours of 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and 7 p. m. Lanes can be closed on the weekend.
- A new form of intersection control called a “quadrant left” will be put into place at the intersection of N.C. 73 and U.S. 21/Statesville Road. This type of intersection control reduces congestion by eliminating left turns. Eastbound N.C. 73 traffic wanting to turn left onto U.S. 21 North/Statesville Road will continue straight through the intersection, turn right onto Holly Point Drive, and then right onto U.S. 21 North/Statesville Road. Westbound N.C. 73 traffic wanting to turn left onto U.S. 21 South/Statesville Road will now turn left on Holly Point Drive and then left onto U.S. 21 South/Statesville Road. Motorists wanting to turn right on U.S. 21 North/Statesville Road from N.C. 73 West can either turn right at the intersection with U.S. 21/Statesville Road, or turn left onto Holly Point Drive and right onto U.S. 21 North/Statesville Road.
- Motorists can expect lane closures, periodic weekend road closures, night time work and narrowed lanes during construction.
- This project is a design build project. Design build allows the Department to contract a team that consists of both designers and a contractor to simultaneously design and construct the project. Projects can be let sooner and completed faster using this approach. The estimated completion date for this project was November of 2012. By using the Design Build approach, the project is estimated to be complete by December 2011.
- N.C. 73 FAQ
New quadrant left intersection on N.C. 73
Assistant Resident Engineer
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.