This project involves constructing a new highway bridge carrying the extension of Roberta Road over the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks in Cabarrus County in order to reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
This project is part of a series of improvements to the railroad corridor between Harrisburg and Charlotte, one of the busiest sections of railroad in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- The grading and bridge contract was awarded in May 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- Construction of the roadway is anticipated to be complete and the roadway in service in Spring 2016.
- The Town of Harrisburg has a website dedicated to keeping the public informed with current updates on this and other NCDOT projects in Harrisburg.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Extend Roberta Road from N.C. 49 to Stallings Road with a bridge carrying Roberta Road over the NCRR tracks.
- Close the at-grade railroad crossings at Hickory Ridge Road and Robinson Church Road with the NCRR tracks.
- Provide roadway improvements to Stallings Road, School Circle, N.C. 49 and Hickory Ridge Road.
- Install new highway traffic signal at the extension of Roberta Road and Stallings Road.
- Reduce train horn noise through the removal of at-grade railroad crossings.
E. Nat Hunter, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 845-1151
- Address: 12033 E. Independence Blvd., Matthews, NC 28105
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.