This project involves constructing a new highway bridge carrying Upper Lake Road over the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks in Davidson County. The bridge will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion. This project is part of a series of improvements to the railroad between Thomasville and Lexington.
This section of the NCRR is part of the busiest railroad corridor in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in April 2013.
- Project is open to traffic, with minor construction activities to be completed. Anticipate minor lane closures while this work is completed.
- Proposed project completion date is May 2015.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Replace the at-grade railroad crossing at Upper Lake Road with a bridge carrying Upper Lake Road over the NCRR tracks and Hamby Creek tributary.
- Close the railroad crossing at Lower Lake Road.
- Lower Lake Road traffic will now use either Upper Lake Road or Turner Road bridges to cross over railroad tracks.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
Dale L. Swicegood, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (336) 249-6255
- Address: 452 Central Avenue, Lexington, NC 27292
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.