This project involves constructing an extension of existing Caldwell Park Drive in Cabarrus County approximately one mile west into Mecklenburg County, providing alternate access for one public crossing and three private crossings to Caldwell Road and N.C. 49. This will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
This project is part of a series of improvements to the railroad corridor between Harrisburg and Charlotte, one of the busiest sections of railroad in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in June 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- Completion of construction proposed in April 2015.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Close the at-grade railroad crossing at Millbrook Road.
- Close the City of Charlotte, Duke Energy, and Cochrane Farm Drive private at-grade crossings.
- Extend existing Caldwell Park Drive from its existing terminus in Cabarrus County to the Duke Energy/Cochrane Property Line in Mecklenburg County.
- Provide alternate drive access for the Cochrane parcel to the extension of Caldwell Park Drive.
- Provide roadway improvements and extend McLeod Drive to Caldwell Park Drive.
- Provide new bridge over Back Creek on Caldwell Park Drive.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
E. Nat Hunter, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 845-1151
- Address: 12033 E. Independence Blvd., Matthews, NC 28105
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.