This project involves constructing a new railroad bridge carrying the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks over Klumac Road in Rowan County, which will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion. The work also includes removing the railroad crossing at Klumac Road and constructing 0.6 miles of Klumac Road on new location to tie in to the intersection of Mooresville Road and South Main Street.
This section of the NCRR is part of the busiest railroad corridor in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in January 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- Proposed project completion date is October 2016.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Remove the railroad crossing at Klumac Road.
- Construct 0.6 miles of Klumac Road on new location with a bridge carrying NCRR tracks over Klumac Road, that will tie in at the intersection of Mooresville Road and S. Main Street.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
Darin L. Waller, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 639-7567
- Address: 4770 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC 28417
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.