This project is among improvements to the North Carolina Railroad Company corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety. The North Carolina Department of Transportation proposes to construct a new railroad bridge carrying the tracks over Klumac Road at Salisbury in Rowan County.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in January 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- Completion of construction is anticipated in October 2016.
Project Overview and Purpose
- This section of the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) currently hosts approximately 40 freight trains and eight passenger trains per day. This is part of the busiest railroad corridor in North Carolina and operated by Norfolk Southern.
- Freight train volumes are expected to increase.
- Four additional passenger trains round trips will be added after 2017.
- Building a new railroad bridge carrying NCRR tracks over Klumac Road will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
- Remove the railroad crossing at Klumac Road.
- Construct 0.6 miles of Klumac Road on new location with a bridge carrying NCRR tracks over Klumac Road, that will tie-in at the intersection of Mooresville Road and S. Main Street.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
Darin L. Waller, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 639-7567
- Address: 4770 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC 28417
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.