This project is among improvements to the North Carolina Railroad Company corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety. The North Carolina Department of Transportation proposes to construct a new highway bridge carrying Peeler Road over the tracks in Rowan County.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in April 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- Completion of construction is proposed in November 2015.
Project Overview and Purpose
- This section of the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) currently hosts 40 Norfolk Southern Railway freight trains and eight Amtrak trains per day. This is part of the busiest railroad corridor in North Carolina.
- Freight train volumes are expected to double over the next 20 years.
- Four additional passenger trains will be added around 2017.
- Building a new highway bridge on Peeler Road will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
- Replace the railroad crossing at Peeler Road with a bridge carrying Peeler Road over the NCRR tracks and US 29.
- Close the railroad crossing of Peach Orchard Road with the NCRR tracks.
- Provide roadway improvements to Hader Street and extend Hader Street to relocated Peeler Road.
- Provide ramp access to/from Cedar Springs Road and Peeler Road to US 29.
- Close the Reid Farm Drive private railroad crossing via new secondary road to Peach Orchard Road.
- This project is a part of the upcoming Salisbury to Kannapolis double track project.
Darin L. Waller, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 639-7567
- Address: 4770 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC 28417
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.