This project involves constructing a new highway bridge carrying Pharr Mill Road over the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks in Cabarrus County in order to reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
This project is part of a series of improvements to the NCRR corridor between Harrisburg and Charlotte, one of the busiest sections of railroad in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- This project was advertised and bid with contract awarded in May 2013.
- Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2013/early 2014.
- Proposed project completion date is May 2015.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Replace the at-grade railroad crossing at Pharr Mill Road with a bridge carrying relocated Pharr Mill Road and Blackwelder Road over the NCRR tracks.
- Close the railroad crossing at Shamrock Road with the NCRR tracks.
- Provide an extension of Saddle Creek Court to N.C. 49 from an existing point on the south side of the NCRR tracks over a new crossing with the NCRR tracks.
- Provide ramp access to/from Blackwelder and Pharr Mill Roads to N.C. 49.
- Provide roadway improvements to Mulberry Road.
- Provide alternate emergency access to the Saddle Creek Industrial Park via gate at existing Shamrock Road and Saddle Creek Court.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
E. Nat Hunter, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 845-1151
- Address: 12033 E. Independence Blvd., Matthews, NC 28105
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.