The North Carolina Turnpike Authority was created in 2002 by the General Assembly in response to concerns about rapid growth, heavy congestion and dwindling resources.
The Turnpike Authority is authorized to study, plan, develop, construct, operate and maintain up to nine projects.
Click here to view current Turnpike Authority projects.
The mission of the Turnpike Authority is to supplement the traditional non-toll transportation system serving the citizens of North Carolina by accelerating the delivery of roadway projects using alternative financing options and facilitating the development, delivery and operation of an integrated, creative system of toll roads.
Board of Directors
The North Carolina Turnpike Authority is governed by a nine-member board of directors. Four members of the board are appointed by the Governor; two members are appointed by the President Pro-Tem of the Senate; and two by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Secretary Anthony Tata, Chair
- Perry R. Safran, Vice Chair
- Robert D. Teer, Jr. , Sec.-Treasurer
- Robert C. Clay
- John Collett
- Scott Aman
- Jim Crawford
- Jake Alexander
- Charles L. Travis, III
Board of Directors Meeting Calendar
- Toll Related Questions & Customer Service Center, call 1-877-7MY-PASS (1-877-769-7277) or email TollQuestions@ncdot.gov.
- General inquiries, call (919) 707-2700.
- Members of the media, call NCDOT Communications Office at (919) 707-2660.
- Project-specific inquiries, send email to:
- Address: NC Turnpike Authority
1578 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1578
- Address: 1 South Wilmington Street
- Raleigh, NC 27601
- Phone: (919) 707-2700
- Fax: (919) 715-5511