HBCU/MIHE Internship Program
The N.C. Department of Transportation's HBCU/MIHE Internship Program provide hands-on, real-world experience for students attending historically black colleges or universities (HBCU) or minority institutions of higher education (MIHE).
Throughout the summer program, interns gain knowledge, resources and expertise that they can apply to their future careers – whether at NCDOT or other organizations.
Essential components of the internship experience include professional development workshops on skills such as résumé building, business writing and networking.
Interns also work with executive and senior leadership staff and develop important connections that can be helpful in future professional endeavors.
Qualified students meet the following criteria:
- Have a strong academic record with a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Have innovative ideas for enhancing NCDOT programs and initiatives
- Have exceptional communication and organization skills
- Have an interest in working on state government reform efforts
- Have the flexibility to work on multiple projects simultaneously