The Transportation Engineering Associates Program gives recent graduates in civil, environmental, mechanical, chemical, aerospace or biological engineering the opportunity to learn about the major functions of the N.C. Department of Transportation's various highway units.
The program also provides NCDOT with a pool of professionally trained and experienced engineers who can assume management responsibilities with confidence.
As part of the program, associates also have the chance to develop a career development and training program that provides them with a broad background and practical application of highway engineering.
An associate's training scheduled is based on his or her areas of interest as well as the department's needs.
Training can consist of:
- Up to eight months of field operations (statewide assignments in maintenance and construction)
- Up to eight months of pre-construction assignments in Raleigh.
The associate must select work in four of the following areas:
- Roadway design
- Traffic mobility and safety
- Environmental planning
- Transportation planning
- Structure design
- Materials and test
- Pavement management
- Rail Division
- Aviation division
- Location and surveys (Raleigh and statewide)
Who Should Apply
Graduate students seeking entry-level work in civil, environmental, mechanical, chemical, aerospace or biological engineering
Qualified applicants must:
- Have a Bachelor of Science in civil, environmental or biological engineering
- Have a minimum 2.5 grade point average
- Be a recent college graduate (within two years)
- Be flexible in job locations
- Have exceptional communication and organizational skills
The deadline for 2018 applicants was March 23, 2018. Information about 2019 opportunities and how to apply will be posted online when available.
12-15 months, beginning in January or June
Locations vary (applicant may specify desired location, but it is not guaranteed)
Tameka Judd, Recruitment Specialist
N.C. Department of Transportation
Talent Management Office
Send a message
1517 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1517