General Information

The IRP Online Renewal service allows customers to renew their International Registration Plan (IRP) Plates and Cab Cards online. IRP Registrants are required to record mileage for each state traveled and report this mileage for the reporting period required.

Note: Registered motor vehicles that have a taxable gross weight of 55,000 or more will need to file a Heavy Vehicle Tax (2290) form. Contact any IRS office or apply on-line at

Browse our Frequently Asked Questions for quick answers to common questions. If you need more help, you can also Contact Us with concerns or questions regarding International Registration Plan (IRP) online renewal.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I renew my apportioned license plates for the International Registration Plan (IRP) on the Internet? 

When you receive your renewal packet each year, you will receive information on how to access the TRANSEXPRESSystem Renewal website in order to set up your Internet account through the Online IRP Renewal service.

If processing my apportioned renewal via the Internet, what payment options do I have? 

You will be able to select an option to pay fees at the Raleigh or Charlotte IRP Office or you may select to pay by EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer). If you choose the EFT option, your renewal fees will be drafted electronically from your checking or savings account depending on what account you specify. You must contact the Raleigh IRP office at (919) 615-6700 in order to set up your EFT account PRIOR to processing your renewal.

Can I go to a North Carolina DMV License Plate Office? 

International Registration Plan (IRP) accounts may be renewed in person at the Raleigh or Charlotte IRP offices, by mail or via Internet. All new IRP accounts must be handled through either the Raleigh or Charlotte IRP offices. New accounts may be processed at one of the license plate offices listed below or at the Raleigh or Charlotte IRP offices.

North Carolina DMV License Plate Offices are available to assist you with specific IRP applications such as:

  • Add Equipment
  • Duplicate Cab Card
  • Add Jurisdiction
  • Change Insurance
  • Turn in Plate
  • Replace Plate
  • Amend Equipment

To locate the License Plate Office nearest you, Click Here or call (919) 715-7000.

Where are the International Registration Plan (IRP) offices located? 

There are two IRP offices that can process any type of IRP service:

    Raleigh Office

    1425 Rock Quarry Road
    Suite 100
    Raleigh, N.C. 27610
    (919) 615-6700
    Hours: 8:00 - 5:00 M-F

    Charlotte Office

    6016 Brookshire Blvd.
    Charlotte, N.C. 28216
    (704) 392-2112
    Hours: 8:00 - 5:00 M-F

Note: You may only renew your IRP Plates at the Raleigh or Charlotte IRP offices, either by mail or in person, or on the Internet.

How will participation in the International Registration Plan help my trucking operation? 

Reciprocity agreements historically have restricted your operations in other states to interstate commerce leaving you with the burden of purchasing a full fee plate in each state in which your vehicle(s) must conduct intrastate operations. Under the Plan, your apportioned vehicles may conduct both interstate and intrastate operations. The Plan does not, however, prevent the need to register with other state agencies (such as the Fuel Tax Division) or to have appropriate intrastate authority from each state's regulatory commission to conduct intrastate for-hire operations.

Will participation cost my company more money? 

If your interstate operations have been conducted in the past under pure reciprocity agreements, the answer will depend on the relationship of your base state's fees to those of other International Registration Plan states in which you conduct operations. If your base state has a low fee structure and the other states have relatively higher fee structures, IRP participation will result in higher registration costs.

Will International Registration Plan participation reduce the documents that must be carried in each vehicle? 

As compared to those vehicles formerly operating under reciprocity agreements the answer is no, but the International Registration Plan will not increase the number of documents either.

When a state joins the International Registration Plan, does the Plan supersede the former agreement(s)? 

The International Registration Plan supersedes all former agreements on any of the matters covered by this agreement, but those former agreements are not disturbed by the International Registration Plan as they relate to vehicles not subject to apportioned registration or as they relate to border agreements. The International Registration Plan further does not affect in any way agreements between International Registration Plan jurisdictions and non-International Registration Plan jurisdictions.

What is the minimum number of vehicles that may be apportioned in a fleet? 

The Plan defines fleet as one or more apportionable vehicles, allowing for single-vehicle fleet apportionment.

Must all my vehicles be apportioned as a single fleet? 

No. You must register your vehicles either as a single fleet or in several fleets to meet the nature of your operation(s), except that vehicles must be based for registration purposes (1) where you have an established place of business, (2) where mileage is accrued and (3) where records are kept or can be made available for audit. Registrants having declared more than one fleet may drop any one of the declared fleets at the end of any registration year and include the vehicles of the deleted fleet in other existing declared fleets for apportionment. Registrants having declared, for example, fleets 1,2 and 3 may not drop fleet 3 and declare fleet 4 for apportionment in any of the jurisdictions with which fleet 3 was apportioned. However, rental and or leasing companies would not be subject to the above rule when declaring individual fleets for each lessee.

How do I treat apportionable vehicles in my fleet that are not apportioned? 

These vehicles should be full fee plated in their base state and will, if taken on an interstate trip into or through another member jurisdiction, be subject to the trip permit provisions of the Plan.

How are special-purpose registered vehicles such as farm vehicles treated under International Registration Plan? 

Under the provisions of the Plan, restricted plate vehicles, such as those restricted in the commodities they can transport or in the area they may serve, are not apportionable vehicles and are treated under other agreements between jurisdictions.

Are registration fees for trailers and semitrailers as well as power units under the International Registration Plan apportioned? 

There no longer exists any jurisdictional(state) requirements for Apportioned Trailer License Plates. The only requirement is that a trailer must have a valid license plate. If you currently have a Permanent Apportioned Trailer License Plate, you may renew that plate as a part of your IRP fleet for a cost of $19.00 with no additional jurisdictional fees due. If you are establishing a new account/fleet, you may elect to purchase Permanent Apportioned Trailer License Plates and maintain your trailers as part of your IRP fleet.

Must I register my equipment in all member states at the same gross vehicle weight? 

No. Your gross weight as shown on both your application and cab card may vary from state to state. Enforcement personnel, however, may issue a citation to your vehicle if found operating in any member state at a weight exceeding that for which it is registered in that state. North Carolina may require supporting documentation for any vehicle if the highest and lowest weights requested for jurisdictions registering by gross vehicle weight vary by ten (10) percent or more and may reject or deny registration for those vehicles if the variance does not reflect actual operating practice.

Are there any special problems in the Plan that might be encountered in securing overweight and/or overdimensional special permits? 

No, except that most states require a unit to be registered for the maximum allowable weight before issuing a special permit. Overweight and/or overdimensional permits for North Carolina may be secured by calling (919) 733-7154.

If I anticipate operating in a state during the next registration year that I did not enter in the current year, how can I get these states into my application and on my cab card? 

Under Full Reciprocity Plan all states and provinces will be on your cab card.

How do I add or delete vehicles or transfer licenses in my fleet during a registration year? 

These changes are accomplished by submitting supplement applications.

Is there a procedure for my changing the registered gross weights for my vehicles during the registration year? 

Yes. You must file a complete supplemental application and pay additional fees where the gross weight is to be increased.

Must I complete all the columnar information requested on the application forms? 

Yes. By completing all the information, you will reduce the possibility of having your application returned under the provisions of a policy adopted by the International Registration Plan administrators in 1977 recognizing that the registration laws in different states are based upon different factors.

What are the insurance requirements for Interstate Motor Carriers? 

An interstate motor carrier must have a minimum of 750,000 of liability insurance.

Where do I obtain Interstate Authority? 
    Federal Highway Administration
    Office of Motor Carriers
    Information Management, HIA-10
    400 Seventh Street, S.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20590
    Phone: (202) 366-9805
When I obtain my credentials from Washington, D.C., where do I register my authority? 

Please contact the North Carolina International Registration Plan (IRP) at 919-615-6700.

What are the Insurance requirements for North Carolina Intrastate Motor Carriers? 

An Intrastate motor carrier must have a minimum of $750,000 in liability insurance.

What type of credentials are required for Intrastate operation in North Carolina? 

If you are hauling household goods or transporting passengers please contact the North Carolina Utilities Commission at (919) 733-4035. If you are hauling general commodities please contact the North Carolina International Registration Plan (IRP) at 919-615-6700.

How can I contact the US Department of Transportation? 

You may contact the USDOT at (919) 856-4378.