The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles now offers modified contactless road tests at limited locations by appointment for those who may not be eligible for a waiver or those Level 2 drivers that have received a waiver and now need a road test to advance to Level 3.
The qualifying reasons for a contactless road test for are:
- Previously failed road test and was never retested prior to March 2020.
- Governed by lawful and or legal presence status (not permanent residence).
- Driving privileges were suspended when the previous credential expired.
- Previously waived road test with Provisional Level 2 application, and now seeks Level 3.
Please note: House Bill 158 requires DMV to temporarily waive the road test requirement for Level 2 limited provisional drivers. After holding the Level 2 license a minimum of six months, a teen driver who received a waiver under this bill must pass a road test administered by DMV to obtain a Level 3 full provisional license.
How to Apply for an Appointment
Due to limited space, contactless road test scheduling may range from one to four weeks out.
You may apply for a contactless road test appointment by contacting the DMV Customer Care Line at (919) 715-7000 or by submitting a request via email at DMVDS@ncdot.gov.
Please include the following information when applying for a contactless road test appointment by email:
- Customer name
- Customer’s county of residence
- Driver license or permit number
- Customer’s telephone number
- Qualifying reason (Please see qualifying reasons listed above)
What Happens Next
Once your appointment request is received, you will be notified by phone or email by DMV with instructions.
Again, due to limited space, you may be placed on a waiting list or offered to travel within reason to another testing location. DMV will do its best to place your request to the nearest location of your residence at the earliest available date for testing.