Close Menu

DMV Credential Extensions Frequently Asked Questions


Expand All
Collapse All
  • I have a license or registration that expires on or after March 1, 2020, and before Aug. 1, 2020, what do I do?

    If your license expires on or after March 1, 2020 and before​ Aug. 1, 2020 and you do not wish to go into a DMV office you have several options:

    • Check to see if your transaction can be completed online​
    • If it cannot be completed online, or you do not wish to conduct business online, you are eligible for a one-time, five-month extension on your license or registration. 
      • ​​​​Please note that this is a one-time, temporary extension. For example: If your registration has a current deadline of March 31, 2020, then the new due date will be Aug. 31, 2020. In 2021, the registration deadline will revert to March 31, 2021.
  • What if I have already had my car inspected but do not want to go into an office?

    If you already have had your car inspected, you can likely complete your registration online​. If you do not wish to do this online, your vehicle inspection is valid for 90 days. If you do not renew your vehicle registration before the 90 days are up, you will need to have your car inspected again.​​​​

  • My child received a Driving Eligibility Certificate from their school, but we haven’t been able to get to a DMV office for them to test for a driving permit, what can we do?
    If your child has a valid Driving Eligibility Certificate issued by their school that was dated between Feb. 9, 2020 and March 10, 2020, that certificate will be accepted by the Division of Motor Vehicles for up to 30 days after all DMV offices have been reopened. 

  • I am a CDL license holder and am required to submit periodic medical certification paperwork to the NCDMV. Am I still required to submit those documents?

    ​Yes. Please contact the NCDMV Medical Review Unit​. On a case by case basis, your Medical Waiver may be extended by up to five months.

  • I am a CDL license holder with a specialized endorsement (Ex: Hazmat). My endorsement expires soon, what can I do?

    ​If your endorsement expires on or after March 1, 2020 and before Aug. 1, 2020, you are eligible for a five-month extension. 

  • I have seen that other states are waiving the road test for individuals who want to get their driver license. Is the NCDMV doing this too?

    ​​No. It is still a requirement that individuals seeking a limited provisional license, or a first-time driver license, pass a road skills test. Road tests are not being offered until it is determined it is safe to do so.​​​​

  • What “credentials” or services fall under the five-month extension?
    • ​​​​Driver license
    • Learner's permit
    • Limited learner's permit
    • Limited provisional license
    • Full provisional license
    • Commercial driver license
    • Commercial learner's permit
    • Temporary driving certificate
    • Special identification card
    • Handicapped placard
    • Vehicle registration
    • Temporary vehicle registration
    • Dealer license plate
    • Transporter plate
    • Loaner/Dealer "LD" plate
    • Vehicle inspection authorization
    • Inspection station license
    • Inspection mechanic license
    • Transportation network company permit
    • Motor vehicle dealer license
    • Sales representative license
    • Manufacturer license
    • Distributor license
    • Wholesaler license
    • Driver training school license
    • Driver training school instructor license
    • Professional house-moving license

  • Does the extension apply to handicapped tags and placards?

    ​Yes, the one-time extension applies to handicapped placards and tags if yours expires on or after March 1, 2020 and before Aug. 1, 2020.

  • Do I have to apply for my late fee reimbursement, or will I just get a check?

    ​No plan has been developed yet for the fee reimbursement.

  • What do I do about expired plates?

    Expired license plates can be returned at a DMV office or by mail with an explanation since insurance cancellations are not covered by the extension.​  ​

    You can return the plate to a local DMV tag office or mail* it to:

    DMV Vehicle Registration Section
    3148 Mail Service Center
    1100 New Bern Avenue
    Raleigh, N.C. 27699-3148

    *Please include a brief note about why it is being returned, and you should request that a receipt for the plate be sent to you.

9/15/2020 10:23 AM

Back to top