Level 2 Limited Provisional License Road Test Waiver
The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles is temporarily waiving road tests for those drivers seeking a limited provisional license (Level 2 of the graduated licensing program). Drivers must meet the following criteria:
- Be 16 or 17 years old
- Have their Level 1 Limited Learner Permit for at least 12 months
- Completed at least 60 hours of supervised driving, including time at night
- No moving violations or seat belt/cell phone violations within the last six months
- Covered under a liability insurance policy
Please note: This waiver does not apply to those seeking a Level 3 full provisional license.
How to Get a Limited Provisional License
- Proof of insurance
- Driving log proving 60 hours of supervised driving, including time at night
- A parent or a legal guardian
Once the information is verified, the driver will get their picture taken and they will be issued a temporary limited provisional license. A hard copy of the license will be mailed to their address.
Drivers who get the waiver will still need to pass a road test to move up to the Level 3 full provisional license, which allows unsupervised driving at any time.
Make an Appointment
About Limited Provisional Licenses
A limited provisional license allows unsupervised driving from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., as well as going to/from work, and working with a volunteer rescue, fire or emergency medical service.
A driver must not have more than one passenger under 21 in the vehicle, except for family members of the same household as the driver. The use of a cell phone is prohibited.
Expiration Dates Extended for DMV Credentials
On May 4, 2020, Governor Cooper extended expiration dates for DMV credentials (such as driver licenses and vehicle registrations; full list below):
- People whose credentials expired
on or after
March 1, 2020 and before Aug. 1, 2020 have been given a
one-time, five-month extension (from the original expiration date) to renew driver licenses and handle vehicle registrations.
- Any fines and fees related to expired credentials are being temporarily waived. Customers who already paid a $15 fee for a late renewal in March or April will be reimbursed.
- This language does not change the original expiration date of the driver license or vehicle registration renewal; it only provides a one-time extension.
For example: If your registration has a current deadline of March 31, 2020, then the new due date will be Aug. 31, 2020. Next year, the registration deadline will revert to March 31, 2021.
- Road skills tests are still a requirement for those seeking a limited provisional license, or a first-time driver license. Road tests are not being offered until it is determined it is safe to do so.
- The five-month extension applies to any credential that expires on or after March 1, and before Aug. 1. The list includes:
|Driver license||Learner's permit|
|Limited learner's permit||Limited provisional license|
|Full provisional license||Commercial driver license|
|Commercial learner's permit||Temporary driving certificate|
|Special identification card||Handicapped placard|
|Vehicle registration||Temporary vehicle registration|
|Dealer license plate||Transporter plate|
|Loaner/Dealer "LD" plate||Vehicle inspection authorization|
|Inspection station license||Inspection mechanic license|
|Transportation network company permit||Motor vehicle dealer license|
|Sales representative license||Manufacturer license|
|Distributor license||Wholesaler license|
|Driver training school license||Driver training school instructor license|
Frequently Asked Questions
Some DMV Offices Closed
For the health and safety of our customers and employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, some DMV driver license offices have closed.
The open offices have transitioned to handle appointment-only visits and will limit the number of customers allowed inside at the same time, depending on the office size.
Before visiting an office, please check to see if it is open and what its operating hours are.
Find an Office
License Plate Agencies Offer Contactless Payment
Online DMV Services Available
More than a dozen DMV services can be conducted online without ever visiting an office.
- License renewals
- Vehicle registrations
- Duplicate license/ID cards
- Renew vehicle registration and pay property taxes
- Order personalized/specialized license plates