Search & Order Plates

Make a statement with a specialized or personalized license plate. Our online search before you order makes it easy to find the plate that fits you.

Moved Out of State?

Please mail license plates to:

NC Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3148

Be sure to include a request for a receipt and your address. You may need the receipt for county tax purposes.

Do not cancel your North Carolina liability insurance coverage before you turn in your plate or you will be fined.

Because state law requires continuous liability insurance on all registered vehicles, a vehicle owner should cancel their insurance only after they have turned in their North Carolina license plate to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Canceling insurance before turning in the license plate will result in a fine for failure to maintain continuous insurance coverage.

Vehicle Storage

An owner storing a vehicle for an extended period should also return the vehicle's license plate before canceling liability insurance coverage.

Turning in a Plate

North Carolina license plates can be returned at any NCDMV license plate agency or by mailing them to:

NCDMV Vehicle Registration Section
Renewal Title & Plate Unit
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3148

Receipts are provided upon request.

Drop-Off Service

License plates can also be left in a drop box at NCDMV Headquarters, at 1100 New Bern Ave. in Raleigh. Customers who need a receipt, however, should turn in the plates at a license plate agency or by mail.

Lost or Stolen Plates

Owners needing to cancel a lost or stolen North Carolina license plate must submit a completed "License Plate Turn-In Verification" (MVR-18A) form to any NCDMV license plate agency or by mailing it to the address on the form.

Completed forms may also be scanned and submitted online.