Search & Order Plates

Make a statement with a specialized or personalized license plate. Our online search before you order makes it easy to find the plate that fits you.

Did you know?

You can attach the license plate of a disposed vehicle to another vehicle of the same classification.


  • You must start the plate transfer process
  • Second vehicle must be properly insured
  • The vehicle can be operated for up to 20 days

If the original vehicle was not disposed, a new registration card is required before using the plate.

Vehicle Title Information
Image of highway with trucks, moutains & flowers

Transferring a license plate from one vehicle to another is a fairly easy process.

How to Transfer, Steps

Step 1, Requirements & Documents

First, to start the transfer you will need to meet these requirements:

  • Maintain liability insurance.
  • The vehicle the license plate is being transferred to must have a current inspection.
  • The name on your License and the Vehicle Title must match.
Acceptable proof of liability insurance:
Step 2, Submit Form & Pay Fee

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles accepts Cash, money orders, personal checks[?] and American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit and debit cards at all NCDMV office locations.

License Plate Transfer Fee
Transfer of Plate $20

Vehicle Fees, Contact & Delivery Information

Email Us:
Mail Us:
N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3148

When is the Transfer Fee not applicable?

These exceptions only apply when the vehicle is already titled in North Carolina.

  • When Transferring ownership of a single vehicle from single ownership to joint ownership (as long as one of the names is the same)
  • When transferring ownership of a single vehicle from joint ownership to single ownership (as long as one of the names is the same)
  • Registered owner dies and title transferred to surviving spouse. It is important to note that:
    • Most special plates (ie. Military, Military Retired, Official, Disabled Veteran, Handicapped) cannot be transferred to the surviving spouse since the individual qualifies for the plate. However there are exceptions such as the Prisoner of War Plate. The Prisoner of War Plate is transferable to the surviving spouse if she does not remarry and continues to renew the plate each year.