Highway bridge over water

Don't have proof of vehicle ownership?

An Indemnity Bond or Cash Bond may be filed with the Division on your behalf.

What is an Indemnity Bond?

A security bond written by an insurance company.

What is a Cash Bond?

A monetary bond that must be for at least $100.00.

Obtaining a Vehicle Title using a Bond

Step 1, Requirements & Documents

When completing forms and documents read and follow the complete set of directions. Identification will be required for all services that are processed in person. View Acceptable Identification Documents .

Odometer Reading
Required if vehicle is less than 10 years old.
Inspector's Report
Report from License & Theft Bureau Inspector
Bond Document
Title Application ( MVR-1 ) Declare all liens, Notarization Required.
Affidavit of Facts ( MVR-28 ) Required in the case of vehicle modifications.
Requirements for Obtaining Title by Filing an Indemnity Bond ( MVR-92A ) Requirements List
Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Indemnity Bond ( MVR-92H )
Step 2, DMV License & Theft Bureau Inspection
What if I don't have proof of vehicle purchase?

Please contact a License & Theft Bureau Inspector. You must present the Title Application & Affidavit of Facts to the inspector at time of inspection.

Next, you'll need to get your vehicle inspected. No registration will be issued until the vehicle has been deemed operable by a DMV License & Theft Inspector. You can find more information about License & Theft Inspections here:

  • DMV License & Theft Bureau
  • If the vehicle is not in operable condition at the time of inspection then an Inoperable Title will be issued.
Step 3, Vehicle Appraisal

Bonds are not acceptable for the following:

  • On abandoned vehicles.
  • Mechanics & storage liens.
  • There is an outstanding lien & a cancellation cannot be issued.
  • If litigation is pending.
  • Vehicles not housed in North Carolina.
  • You are a non-resident & the vehicle is not registered in North Carolina.
  • Vehicle value is determined from the current Value Schedule [?]
  • For mobile homes and vehicles not listed in the Value Schedule, two appraisals from North Carolina dealers will be required. The appraisals must be on the dealer's letterhead.
Step 4, Acquire Indemnity Bond
  • The Indemnity Bond can only be written by an insurance company licensed to write Surety Bonds in North Carolina.
  • The bond must be for one and one-half times the value of the vehicle (with a minimum of $100.00).
  • The bond will remain on file with the Division for three years.
Step 5, Emissions Inspection

Finally, you will need to get the vehicle inspected. Before a license plate is issued, the vehicle will need to pass an emissions inspection. You can find more information about NC Inspections and Inspection Station locations here:

Step 6, Submit & Pay Your Application

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles accepts Cash, money orders, personal checks[?] and American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit and debit cards at all NCDMV office locations.

Vehicle Registration Fees
Certificate of Title $52
Instant Title $98
Tax, Vehicles [?] 3% Highway Use Tax

Vehicle Fees, Contact Information