What is a Salvaged Motor Vehicle?

Any motor vehicle damaged by collision or other occurrence to the extent that the cost of repairs rendering the vehicle safe for use on public roadways would exceed 75% of its fair market value. (Repairs shall include the cost of parts and labor.)

IMAP Truck on highway

Salvaged Motor Vehicles

When the insurance company or authorized agent has paid a claim on a salvaged vehicle, the NC DMV must be notified within 10 days if the damage occurred in North Carolina and the transfer of title occurred in North Carolina.

If the salvaged or damaged vehicle is six model years old or newer, you must obtain an Anti-Theft Inspection by the License & Theft Bureau.

Other Vehicle Classifications

Reconstructed Vehicle

A motor vehicle required to be registered that has been materially altered from original construction due to the removal, addition or substitution or essential parts. (This includes glider kits and custom assembled vehicles.)

Flood Vehicles

A motor vehicle that has been submerged or partially submerged in water to the extent that damage to the body, engine, transmission or differential has occurred.

Salvage Rebuilt Vehicle

A salvage vehicle that has been rebuilt for title and registration.

Junk Vehicle

A motor vehicle which is incapable or operation or use upon the highways and has no resale value except as a source of parts or scrap. The vehicle shall not be titled or registered.

For more information regarding Salvage or Gray Market Vehicles, please contact us.

Salvage or Gray Market Vehicles
(919) 861-3500

Abandoned Vehicles

For services regarding Abandoned Motor Vehicles you may contact the License & Theft Bureau.

NC DMV License & Theft Bureau
(919) 861-3141