Some advance planning can help minimize the effect of construction on your commute:
- Know before you go. Plan your route ahead of time with real-time traffic cameras and work zone maps.
- View current drive times in and around the Fortify work zone (courtesy of the Regional Transportation Alliance).
- Use carpool/vanpool services or take the bus.
- Talk to your employer about the resources NCDOT has available to help with teleworking or alternate schedules.
- Find alternative routes ahead of time in case of traffic congestion. I-440 is a key alternative for those passing through Raleigh. Depending on where you live and where you’re going, there are several other local roads you can also use to avoid I-40.
NCDOT State Farm® Safety Patrol provides free roadside assistance to all drivers and helps keep traffic flowing. Safety Patrol trucks are ready to address most traffic-related problems:
- Stranded motorists with flat tires, overheating vehicles, dead batteries, etc.
- Traffic control lighting to warn drivers of hazards
- Specialized push bumpers and winches to move disabled vehicles and clear debris
To get help from the Safety Patrol, dial *HP from your mobile phone.
Check out NCDOT’s Traveler Information Management System (TIMS). Select the counties, routes or region you’re interested in to instantly see incidents and live cameras on an interactive map. You can also call 511 – North Carolina's toll-free travel line – any time.