For the 2020 Aviation Art Contest, participants were asked to create original artworks inspired by the theme “Flying Yesterday and Tomorrow.”
The statewide competition drew 2,420 entries from students representing 219 schools and 269 hometowns in 77 counties. Since 2015, 8,236 students have submitted artwork.
Entries were divided into three age groups. The top three finishers in each age group advance to the national competition, hosted by the National Association of State Aviation Officials in Washington, DC.
- First Place: Beckman Case Clawson, Ida Rankin Elementary School, McAdenville
- Second Place: Michelle Selin Park, Berean Baptist Academy, Fayetteville,
- Third Place: Bria Louise Ma, E. Melvin Honeycutt Elementary School, Fayetteville
- First Place: Daniel Kim, Carnage Middle School, Cary
- Second Place: Sofia Sande-Fernandez, Alston Ridge Middle School, Cary
- Third Place: Summerlin Ward, Emereau Bladen Charter School, Tar Heel
- First Place: Cassidy English, Harnett Central High School, Lillington
- Second Place: Kailyn Becker, Apex Friendship High School, Apex
- Third Place: Hyunmin Ra, Berean Baptist Academy, Fayetteville