Each year, the N.C. Department of Transportation's Division of Aviation sponsors the North Carolina Aviation Art Contest in an effort to engage young people in aviation and aeronautics in the state.
The annual contest offers all children who live in or attend school in North Carolina the chance to explore different aspects of aviation.
'Flight Into the Future'
For the 2018 Aviation Art Contest, participants were asked to create original artworks inspired by the theme "Flight Into the Future."
The state competition drew 1,246 entries from students representing 144 hometowns and 130 schools. Since 2015, 3,440 students have submitted artwork to the division.
Entries were divided into three age groups. The top three entries in each age group advanced to the national competition by the
National Association of State Aviation Officials in Washington, D.C.
- First Place: Victoria Raggio, Lake Wylie Elementary School, Charlotte
- Second Place: Tanav Repala, Providence Spring Elementary School, Charlotte
- Third Place: Augusto Pereram, Healthy Start Academy, Durham
- First Place: Hong Suk Choi, West Cary Middle School, Cary
- Second Place: Jennifer Nguyen, West Cary Middle School, Cary
- Third Place: Isabel Chang, Davis Drive Middle School, Cary
- First Place: Hyunmin Ra, Berean Baptist Academy, Fayetteville
- Second Place: Emma R. Kerns, Liberty Preparatory Christian Academy, Sherrills Ford
- Third Place: Alexandria Lois Anderson, Polk County Early College High School, Rutherfordton