- The N.C. Department of Transportation
has awarded a contract to resurface 12.5 miles of roadway in Rockingham County. The $2.4 million contract was awarded to the Thompson-Arthur Division of APAC-Atlantic Inc. of Greensboro. Work can begin as early as April 2, 2012 and is scheduled to be completed by Aug. 3, 2012.The following roadways will be resurfaced:
- U.S. 311/N.C. 770 from N.C. 14 to Shady Grove Road/Washington Street;
- N.C. 87 from N.C. 65 to U.S. 311/N.C. 770 (Harrington Highway);
- Scales Street from Sprinkle Street to Madison Street;
- Madison Street from Scales Street to N.C. 14; and
- Hubbard Street from Lawsonville Avenue to Morehead Street.
This is one of 12 contracts totaling $32.1 million awarded by Conti for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about 6 percent, or about $2.1 million, below NCDOT estimates. Since Gov. Bev Perdue took office in January of 2009, NCDOT has awarded 439 highway contracts totaling $3.4 billion to ensure that all North Carolinians have access to jobs and educational opportunities. For more information about funding for infrastructure improvements in North Carolina, as well as other NCDOT projects and activities, visit www.ncdot.gov