- For the next few weeks, several overhead message boards on I-40 and I-85 in Guilford and Alamance counties will display various test messages while the N.C. Department of Transportation
works to modernize the electronic signs, which typically display important information such as travel times and detour routes. As part of the $875,000 improvement project, one new message board was installed and eight existing message boards were replaced with larger boards capable of displaying more characters. In Guilford County, a message board was installed on I-40 West, just west of Patterson Street and message boards were replaced at the following locations:
- I-40 East just east of Wendover Avenue;
- I-40 West near the I-40/85 split;
- I-40 East and I-40 West near Elm Street/Eugene Street;
- I-40 East just east of Lee Street;
- I-40 West/I-85 South, just west of N.C. 61; and
- I-85 North just south of Groometown Road.
In addition, crews replaced the message board located on I-40 West/I-85 South just west of N.C. 62 in Alamance County.For at least 30 days, the newly installed message boards will be phased in and tested to ensure they work well before being accepted from the contractor. Once they are approved and accepted, the message boards will be integrated with an extensive network of live traffic cameras and speed data collection equipment to display travel times and other real-time travel information.
Real-time travel information is also available by calling call 511, visiting the NCDOT website or following NCDOT on Twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it to save for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android and some newer Blackberry phones.