- N.C. Department of Transportation
Secretary Gene Conti has awarded a $2.6 million contract to Taylor and Murphy Construction Co. of Asheville to preserve 10 bridges in Alamance and Orange counties.Work can begin as early as June 25 and is scheduled for completion by June 30, 2013.The contract includes the following bridges in Alamance County:
The contract also includes the following bridges in Orange County:
- The bridges across Stoney Creek on Sartin Road, Alatamahaw Union Ridge Road and Caroline Mill Road;
- The bridge across the Haw River on Hopedale Road;
- The bridge across Stinking Quarter Creek on Bellemont-Mount Hermon Road; and
- The bridge across Back Creek on Cherry Lane Road.
These bridges will be rehabilitated using a new resurfacing technique called hydro-demolition. During this resurfacing process, the deteriorated concrete on the bridge deck will be removed in part using high-pressured water and the bridge will be resurfaced using high-strength concrete.Hydro-demolition is more precise than traditional pavement removal with a jackhammer, and it reduces the potential for damage to the bridges. In addition, hydro-demolition is safer and faster than traditional demolition methods and minimizes the impact to traffic. This is one of 30 contracts totaling $109.3 million awarded by Conti for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about 3.9 percent, or $4.4 million, below NCDOT estimates. Since Gov. Bev Perdue took office in January of 2009, NCDOT has awarded 631 highway contracts totaling $4.3 billion to ensure that all North Carolinians have access to jobs and educational opportunities.Gov. Bev Perdue's proposed budget continues to support enhancing or expanding our transportation infrastructure. In doing so, Gov. Perdue continues to support immediate jobs in the construction sector and the goal of ensuring that our transportation network facilitates access to jobs, education and healthcare for the future.
- The bridge across the Eno River on U.S. 70 Business;
- The bridge across I-85 on N.C. 86; and
- The bridges across Orange Grove Road on I-85.