RALEIGH -N.C. Department of Transportation
Secretary Gene Conti has awarded a $4.8 million design-build contract to replace eight bridges in Martin County. Intercoastal Contracting Inc. of Castle Hayne was awarded the contract. The project is scheduled to begin as early as Jan. 30, with final completion scheduled for no later than Nov. 1, 2014. The following bridges will be replaced:
This project will utilize the design-build method, which allows the design, environmental permitting, right-of-way acquisition, utility relocation and construction to take place at the same time, under one contract. This method reduces overall construction time, helps the department avoid cost inflation, allows the contractor to make innovations that save taxpayers money, lessens environmental impact and alleviates driving delays for motorists. Design-build contracts save the taxpayers money by decreasing the time it takes to plan and build. Since Gov. Bev Perdue took office in January of 2009, NCDOT has awarded 23 design-build contracts totaling $1.6 billion. In addition to expediting construction, design-build projects utilize more private sector contractors, stimulating job creation. This is one of 30 contracts totaling $82.6 million awarded by Conti for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about 8 percent, or about $7.2 million, below NCDOT estimates.
- Leggett Mill Road bridge over Turkey Swamp;
- Grand Canyon Road bridge over Smithwick Creek;
- Reason Road bridge over Deep Run Swamp;
- Jerden Thicket bridge over Branch of Cooper Swamp
- Jerden Thicket bridge over Branch of Cooper Swamp;
- Johnny Corey Road bridge over Hardison Mill Creek;
- Cox Road bridge over Branch of Conoho Creek; and
- Leggett Mill Road bridge over Bear Grass Swamp.