- N.C. Department of Transportation
Secretary Gene Conti has awarded a $7.3 million design-build contract to Smith-Rowe LLC of Mount Airy, to replace 12 bridges in Caswell, Guilford, Orange and Rockingham counties. Work can begin as early as April 2 and is scheduled for completion by Nov. 1, 2015. The contract is to replace the following bridges:
These bridges are considered to be structurally deficient or functionally obsolete and have reached the end of their life cycle. This does not mean the bridges are unsafe, but there are elements of the bridges that need to be monitored to maintain structural integrity. Many of these bridges have weight limits that do not allow school buses and some emergency vehicles to cross. The bridges will be replaced with precast cored slab bridges, which will bring them up to current design standards for lane width and weight capacity. Using precast cored slab bridges, construction time can be reduced to 120 days or less depending on the length of the new bridge. The contract is among 17 to be let by June 2012 using a new concept called express design-build, which can go from zero to construction in eight months. The concept is more efficient than traditional methods in that it does not require a technical proposal; the contract award winner is selected solely on low bid. The projects will replace about 175 bridges across all 14 highway divisions. The projects will create private-sector contractor jobs immediately while improving the economy over the long term through investments in bridge and highway infrastructure.This is one of 29 contracts totaling $167.9 million awarded recently by Conti for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about 7.5 percent, or about $13.5 million, below NCDOT estimates. Since Gov. Bev Perdue took office in January of 2009, NCDOT has awarded 28 design-build contracts totaling $1.7 billion.
- The bridge over Sugar Tree Creek on Wrenn Road in Caswell County;
- The bridge over Register's Creek on Groometown Road in Guilford County;
- The bridge over Rock Creek on Colony Road in Guilford County;
- The bridge just west of Wade Store Road on Thacker Dairy Road in Guilford County;
- The bridge just south of Gray Road on Sawyer Road in Orange County;
- The bridge just south of Dimmock Mill Road on Moorefields Road in Orange County;
- The bridge over Jacob's Creek on McCollum Road in Rockingham County;
- The bridge about one mile west of Ellisboro Road on Renn Road in Rockingham County;
- The bridge over Town Creek on Town Creek Road in Rockingham County;
- The bridge just east of High Rock Road on Kernodle Road in Rockingham County;
- The bridge over Jacob's Creek on Grogan Road in Rockingham County; and
- The bridge just north of N.C. 704 on Mosley Loop in Rockingham County.