Lighting at 29 locations covered in troubleshooting contract, starting Sunday night
CHARLOTTE -The N.C. Department of Transportation will begin a $473,000 project this weekend to improve roadway lighting along I-277, I-77, and I-85 in Mecklenburg County, and on I-85 in Cabarrus County. Weather permitting, contractor Brooks Berry Haynie and Associates will start work at 9 p.m. Sunday, May 20.
The Department and the contractor have conducted field reviews at each of the 29 locations listed in the contract to determine the work required. Improvements may include trenching, installing junction boxes, tying in existing conduit, and installing new light foundations. The locations include the following:
- North off ramp and south on ramp at Sam Wilson Road (Exit 27)
- North ramp to I-77 South (Exit 38)
- Both directions near Statesville Road (Exit 39)
- Both directions and south on ramp at Sugar Creek Road (Exit 41)
- North off ramp at City Boulevard (Exit 43)
- South on ramp at Mallard Creek Church Road (Exit 46)
- North on ramp at Cabarrus County Rest Area
- North at Mecklenburg County Welcome Center
- South on ramp and north off ramp at Tyvola Road (Exit 5)
- Both directions between John Belk Freeway (Exit 9) and Brookshire Freeway (Exit 11)
- North off ramp at Trade Street (Exit 10)
- Both directions and south on ramp at Brookshire Freeway (Exit 11)
- Both directions between LaSalle Street (Exit 12) and I-85 (Exit 13)
- North ramp to I-85 (Exit 13)
- Both directions at Cindy Lane overpass
- North off ramp to Harris Boulevard (Exit 18)
- Both directions and North on ramp at N.C. 73 (Exit 25)
- South on ramp at Griffith Street (Exit 30)
- Inner Loop on ramp at Davidson Street (Exit 3)
- Outer Loop off ramp at Davidson Street (Exit 3)
The contractor is permitted to close or narrow a travel lane from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Friday, and 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Ramp closures are permitted from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Friday, and 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Improvements at the Sugar Creek and Statesville Road locations may require lane closures over a weekend, which will be determined at a later date.
The project is scheduled to be completed September 28.
NCDOT reminds motorists to watch signs for construction information, stay alert and obey the posted speed limit.
For real-time travel information at any time, call 511, visit www.ncdot.gov/travel or follow NCDOT on Twitter at www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it to save for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android and some newer Blackberry phones.
For more information, please contact the resident engineer at (704) 847-5006.