CHARLOTTE -The N.C. Department of Transportation will be combining efforts with other agencies in Mecklenburg County and York County, South Carolina, in preparation for July Fourth events happening near the state line.
Separate events will cause congestion on I-77 near the state line, and several secondary roads in southwest Mecklenburg County and northern York County will also be affected by heavy traffic.
Motorists will encounter delays in the following areas:
- Buster Boyd Bridge at the NC/SC Border
- Event attendees will not be permitted to park on the bridge to observe fireworks displays.
- Access to Choate Circle (State Road 1124) may be limited.
- For motorists returning to Charlotte, suggested routes are N.C. 49 to N.C. 160, or Westinghouse Boulevard (S.R. 1128).
- Fort Mill Area/I-77 (Exit 90)
- NCDOT will utilize overhead and portable message signs at the following locations to advise motorists of traveling conditions:
I -77 South near Clanton Road (Exit 7) and near the South Carolina state line; and
I-485 near South Tryon Street (Exit 1).
- After fireworks displays at the theme park, motorists will be forced to turn right on Carowinds Boulevard (S.R. 1441) to N.C. 49 north to Westinghouse Boulevard. No U-turns will be permitted on Carowinds Boulevard.
- Choate Circle may tentatively be open to local traffic only.
- Knights Castle/I-77 (Exit 88)
- Motorists leaving the stadium after fireworks displays will exit via the main gate or Springfield Parkway behind the stadium. Springfield Parkway traffic will empty out onto U.S. 21 (Carowinds Boulevard). Motorists can turn left to access I-77 or can turn right to access Highway 160.
Citizens can obtain travel information in several ways. They can call 511, the state's toll free information line or visit the NCDOT website. NCDOT also offers travel information on Twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android, and some newer Blackberry phones.