CHARLOTTE -The N.C. Department of Transportation will be combining efforts with other agencies in Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte in preparation for July Fourth events at Memorial Stadium on Wednesday night.
The department and its Incident Management Patrol will assist local law enforcement in directing traffic from the area beginning at 9:45 p.m. Motorists should be aware of the following lane closures and traffic shifts:
- Event traffic leaving Memorial Stadium:
- Traffic entering the I-277 outer loop from Fourth Street can continue on I-277 or to U.S. 74 East (Exit 2B);
- Traffic entering U.S. 74 East from Independence Boulevard will be directed to the right lane.
- Through traffic on I-277:
- Motorists traveling on the I-277 outer loop will be directed to the two left lanes to allow event traffic to merge from Fourth Street.
Citizens can obtain travel information in several ways. They can call 511, the state's toll free information line or visit the NCDOT website. NCDOT also offers travel information on Twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android, and some newer Blackberry phones.