(Editor's Note: Please note that the location of the public hearing and open house has been changed to West Forsyth High School, due to HVAC issues at the original location.)RALEIGH - The N.C. Department of Transportation will hold a Transportation Corridor Official Map Act Public Hearing and pre-hearing open house on Tuesday, June 25, regarding the western section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, a multi-lane freeway to be constructed from U.S. 158 to U.S. 52 in Forysth County. A pre-hearing open house will be held from 4-6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of West Forsyth High School, located at 1735 Lewisville Clemmons Road in Clemmons. NCDOT representatives will be available to provide information and answer questions regarding the project. Citizens may attend at any time during the open house, and will have the opportunity to submit comments in writing.The public hearing will begin at 7 p.m. A formal presentation will include an explanation of the proposed project and the effects that the Protected Corridor will have on properties that lie within the proposed path. Attendees will be able to ask questions and provide comments during the hearing.The purpose of the hearing is to present an updated Transportation Corridor Official Map for a portion of the western section of the proposed beltway, from U.S. 421 to Robinhood Road and the beltway interchange with Bethania-Tobaccoville Road. The original Transportation Corridor Official Map for the western section was presented in a public hearing in 1996 and filed on Oct. 6, 1997.NCDOT proposes the following changes to the official map:
Maps displaying the design of the project in the areas where the corridor has been revised are available for public review at the following locations:
- The previous Transportation Corridor Official Map did not protect the section of the beltway from U.S. 421 to Robinhood Road, because right-of-way acquisition was already under way in that area. Since that time, funding for the project was delayed and right-of-way acquisition was put on hold. This section will now be added to the official map to limit further development in the corridor. Minimal changes have been made to the design in this section.
- The interchange with Bethania-Tobaccoville Road has been re-designed to avoid impacts to a historic property. The revised corridor will be added to the official map, and the portion of the corridor that is no longer impacted will be removed.
- A previously proposed access road from Tilmark Drive to Peace Haven Road, near the I-40/U.S. 421 interchange, has been removed. The corridor will be revised to no longer include the properties in that area.
Copies of the maps are also available on NCDOT's Public Meeting website at https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/publicmeetings/ and on the project website at https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/wsnb/.For additional information, contact Drew Joyner of the NCDOT Human Environment Section at (919) 707-6077 or PublicInvolvement2@ncdot.gov.NCDOT will provide auxiliary aids and services under the Americans with Disabilities Act for disabled persons who want to participate in these meetings. Anyone requiring special services should contact Joyner as early as possible so that arrangements can be made.Interpretive services will be provided at the open house and
- NCDOT Division 9 Office - 375 Silas Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem;
- Forsyth County Courthouse - 200 N. Main Street, Winston-Salem;
- Winston-Salem City Hall South - 100 East First Street, Room 307, Winston-Salem; and
- Lewisville Town Hall - 6510 Shallowford Road, Lewisville.