-U.S. 321 at Cliff Dwellers in Blowing Rock re-opened at 10:15 this morning after being closed earlier in the morning by a rockslide. The slide was small and although the roadway itself was cleared of debris, it remained closed while engineers determined that the mountain slope above the road was safe.During the closure, traffic was detoured through the town of Blowing Rock on Business 321, the same route used when the road needs to be closed for the construction project going on in that area.Motorists planning to travel in the area are reminded that weather and road conditions are still poor because of high winds, blowing snow and slick roads, so they are urged to use extra caution.For incidents such as this and heavy travel weekends like for the Thanksgiving holiday, NCDOT encourages motorists to check conditions before they start their trip. you go. Real-time information about changing road conditions across the state can be accessed in a number of ways:
Citizens also can call the U.S. 321 project hotline at 828-964-3260 for updates and information.
- Call 511, the department's toll-free travel information line;
- Use the NCDOT website travel section to check on road conditions by region, county or route.
- Use NCDOT Mobile, the mobile version of the department's website, to know before you go about road conditions. Just type "m.ncdot.gov" into your smartphone's browser;
- "Like" NCDOT on Facebook; and
- Follow one of NCDOT's many Twitter feeds.