- The N.C. Department of Transportation
will close the bridge on Old Fairground Road over McCullens Branch
south of McGee's Crossroads in Johnston County on Monday, June 16. The closure is necessary for crews to begin the first phase of a two phase project that will improve traffic flow around the intersection of Old Fairground Road and Massengill Pond Road.The bridge will be closed to traffic for phase one of the project through Monday, Aug. 25. During this phase, crews will replace the bridge with a triple box culvert.Once phase one is complete, crews will then close the intersection of Old Fairground Road and Massengill Pond Road to allow for work to begin on phase two. Traffic currently on Massengill Pond Road has to stop at the intersection with Old Fairground Road, while traffic on Old Fairground Road has the right-of-way. Phase two will include realigning the intersection and reversing the stop condition, requiring traffic on Old Fairground Road to stop, and giving traffic on Massengill Pond Road the right-of-way. This work will take approximately 14 days to complete. The entire project will be complete by Monday, Sept. 8.A $712,541 contract was awarded to Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh for the project. The following detour routes will be in place during this project:
- Southward on Old Fairground Road:Left on Stephenson Road, right on Zack's Mill Road, right on N.C. 50, right on Elevation Road, right on Benson-Hardee Road back to Old Fairground Road
- Northbound on Old Fairground Road:Right on Benson-Hardee Road, left on Elevation Road, left on Zack's Mill Road, left on Stephenson Road back to Old Fairground Road
- Massengill Pond Road detour heading towards Old Fairground Road:Right on Ridge Road, right on Johnston County Road, left on Benson-Hardee Road back to Old Fairground Road
Motorists are advised to use caution while traveling in the area and to expect delays. NCDOT reminds motorists to watch signs for construction information, stay alert and obey the posted speed limit. For real-time travel information at any time, call 511, visit the NCDOT traffic website or follow NCDOT on Twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it to save for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android and some newer Blackberry phones.
- Massengill Pond Road detour coming from Old Fairground Road:Left on Benson-Hardee Road, right on Johnston County Road, right on Ridge Road back to Massengill Pond Road.