- A contract was awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation
to resurface more than 22 miles of Hoke and Scotland County roads. The $2.5 million contract was awarded to Barnhill Contracting Co. of Tarboro to resurface the roads in the central part of the county. Work for this contract can start as early as July 28, and is expected to be completed by the end of June 2015. Among the roads set to be resurfaced are:
Because several of these roads are busy commuter and commercial routes, roads will not be closed or lanes narrowed when traffic is heaviest, on holidays, or during special events. This was one of 18 road and bridge contracts worth $248.1 million recently awarded by NCDOT for projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about three percent, or $8.3 million, below NCDOT estimates.For more information about funding for infrastructure improvements in North Carolina, as well as other NCDOT projects and activities, visit www.ncdot.gov.
- 9.2 miles of U.S. 74 Bypass Western beltline between N.C. 79 and the Robeson County line;
- 5.2 miles of U.S. 74 Business Western beltline between Old Wire Road and the Richmond County line;
- 0.6 miles of N. Main Street between E. 7th Avenue and Vass Road;
- 0.4 miles of Vass Road between N. Main Street and U.S. 401;
- 2.9 miles of Arabia Road between N.C. 20 and Pate Road;
- 0.4 miles of Heck Norton Road between McFarland Road and the U.S. 401 Bypass;
- 1.4 miles of Harry Malloy Road between S. Rocky Ford Road and Stewartville Cemetery Road;
- 0.9 miles of S. Rocky Ford Road between Harry Mallory Road and Patterson Road; and
- 0.6 miles of X-Way Road between Lytch Drive and the pavement joint at the bridge.