CHARLOTTE - The N.C. Department of Transportation this morning will be treating interstates in Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties in advance of a weather system ushering frigid air, creating the potential for ice to develop overnight. Temperatures are predicted to fall to single digits, freezing what water may be on area roadways.
NCDOT will have 15 trucks canvassing I-77, I-85, I-485, I-277, bridges and overpasses with a brine mixture. Warmer temperatures combined with traffic on the roads should help dry the pavement, minimizing the chances of ice forming. Should issues arise overnight, one salt truck and one brine truck will be on standby to respond.
Crews will mobilize at 11 a.m. and finish by 4 p.m.
The department has produced several videos highlighting winter weather preparations and response, including the below video.
NCDOT offers the following safety tips for driving in winter weather:
Please give NCDOT equipment plenty of room, both for their safety and to allow crews time to clear affected roadways;
- Clear windows and mirrors;
- Reduce speed and leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles;
- Bridges and overpasses accumulate ice first. Approach them with extreme caution and do not apply your brakes while on the bridge;
- If you begin to slide, take your foot off the gas and turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide. Do not apply the brakes as that will cause further loss of control of the car;
- Come to a complete stop or yield the right of way when approaching an intersection where traffic lights are out. Treat this scenario as a four-way stop; and
- If you have a cellular phone, take it with you. You can contact the Highway Patrol statewide by calling *HP (*47) or call the county emergency center by dialing 911.
For real-time travel information at any time, call 511, visit www.ncdot.gov/travel or follow NCDOT on Twitter at www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website. To access it, type "m.ncdot.gov" into the browser of your smartphone. Then, bookmark it to save for future reference. NCDOT Mobile is compatible with the iPhone, Android and some newer Blackberry phones.