Close Menu

NCDOT Releases Draft State Transportation Improvement Program

RALEIGH -Governor Pat McCrory and North Carolina Department of Transportation Secretary Tony Tata told the State Board of Transportation that 303 additional projects will be fully or partially funded and about 126,000 more jobs will be created under the Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) law, which created the Strategic Mobility Formula. The new funding formula was a major initiative achieved by Governor McCrory during the last legislative session. The results of the new funding formula were contained in the draft 10-year State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), which was presented at the transportation board's monthly meeting. This is one of the final steps toward implementing the new STI law."I'm pleased that the transportation law and vision, which is based on economic development, safety, and congestion instead of politics, is working as intended and exceeding our expectations," said Governor McCrory. "Over the next 10 years, this new law and vision will help create thousands of new jobs, invest millions in our communities, and better connect all North Carolinians to work, life and play. This is just the beginning and we will continue to build our infrastructure from the mountains to the coast, rural to urban, which will better connect people to jobs, education, and health care.Using the new formula over 10 years, NCDOT will fund 478 highway projects and create 300,000 jobs. Using the same existing funds, the old formula would have produced 175 highway projects and 174,000 jobs.The Draft STIP includes a total of nearly 1,100 projects across all transportation modes and in every county across the state, making this one of our most comprehensive programs ever."Through the new formula, we will invest in our entire transportation network from the mountains to the coast, with crews actively working in all 100 counties over the next 10 years," said Secretary Tony Tata. "These projects will improve safety, reduce congestion and strengthen connections to make our state more economically competitive."More than 140 non-highway projects are funded in all, along with another 108 major transition projects that were already scheduled to begin prior to July 1, 2015. The Draft STIP also includes 389 interstate maintenance and bridge projects, and 17 safety projects prioritized under alternate criteria. A breakdown of the project numbers can be found here.The Strategic Mobility Formula was specifically designed to direct 60 percent of the available funding to improvements on the regional and local levels to ensure that we are meeting the varied needs of the communities throughout our state-with the remaining 40 percent going to projects of statewide significance that will benefit all North Carolinians.Examples include: Completing the Fayetteville Outer Loop to connect Fort Bragg to the Strategic I-95 Corridor and enhance mobility options for our military. Expanding U.S. 321 between Lenoir and Hickory, which will improve this key regional corridor and better connect the northwestern part of our state to Charlotte and I-85. Improving I-85 in Gaston County and removing the two-lane bottleneck in southern Rowan County, which will enhance this important route for commuters to Charlotte, as well as help move goods more efficie

***NCDOT***

2/15/2018 5:23 PM

Back to top