RALEIGH - Inclement weather across the region has caused a number of trees to fall on North Carolina railroad tracks, causing major delays and cancellations of the Piedmont and Carolinian passenger trains. Norfolk Southern crews are currently on the tracks working to clear downed trees.
The following is an update on train schedules:
- The northbound Carolinian #80 train departed Charlotte at 7 a.m. and is behind the northbound Amtrak Crescent #20 train, which is stopped in High Point due to fallen trees. These trains will be delayed.
- The southbound Piedmont #73 train left Raleigh at 6:45 a.m., but had to return to Raleigh and has been cancelled.
- The northbound Piedmont #74 scheduled to depart Charlotte at noon is cancelled.
- The Rail Division is trying to accommodate passengers traveling from Raleigh to Charlotte by running a longer mid-day southbound Piedmont #75 train departing Raleigh at 11:45 a.m. However, this train may be cancelled or delayed if the tracks are not cleared.
- If the southbound Piedmont #75 can depart at 11:45 a.m. from Raleigh, it will be able to arrive in Charlotte, then depart Charlotte at 5:15 p.m. as northbound Piedmont #76 to Raleigh.
- The southbound Carolinian #79 is scheduled to arrive in Raleigh at 4:50 p.m. today, but could be delayed depending on weather conditions north of Raleigh.
Check ncbytrain.org for updates on train schedules.