skip to main
Close Menu

Permanent Repairs on Hammond Road in South Raleigh to Start Thursday; Southbound lanes will be closed at Rush Street

RALEIGH - Repairs to permanently fix a drainage problem that created a sinkhole to in the southbound lanes of Hammond Road at Rush Street in south Raleigh in September are scheduled to start Thursday, Dec. 18. The N.C. Department of Transportation awarded a $240,000 contract to Moffat Pipe, Inc. of Wake Forest for the repairs.

When the sinkhole initially developed, NCDOT crews dug up the road and determined a broken drainage pipe had allowed water to wash away material underneath the pavement. The pipe is about 25 feet below the road surface, and it was decided it was too dangerous for Department crews to work in such a deep hole to reach the pipe. Moffat Pipe Inc. specializes in underground construction for water main, sewer and storm sewer installations.

A temporary fix was completed to re-open the road and give NCDOT hydrologists time to determine the best way to repair the problem. The pipe was capped off, the hole refilled, pavement added and a steel plate installed along an adjoining southbound lane for added support. Instead of digging up the broken pipe and doing the repairs from above, contractor crews will bore into the pipe location from a side embankment along Hammond Road, and install a new pipe from that side.

Prep work to get equipment in place started Tuesday. The actual repair work will require the closure of southbound Hammond Road at the intersection. The project is expected to be complete by Jan. 16.

Southbound drivers will have to detour at Rush Street. They can turn right toward South Saunders Street, or left toward Garner Road. Motorists are reminded to allow extra time when traveling through the area, or to seek an alternate route. Northbound Hammond Road lanes are both open.

NCDOT reminds motorists to watch signs for construction information, stay alert and obey the posted speed limit. For real-time travel information at any time, visit the Travel section of the NCDOT website, call 511, or follow NCDOT on Twitter. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a phone-friendly version of the NCDOT website.



2/15/2018 5:23 PM