- The N.C. Department of Transportation
advises motorists to be aware of temporary road closures in Chapel Hill during the 2014 Tar Heel 10 Miler, taking place on Saturday, April 26 at 7:30 a.m. As many as 6,000 runners are expected to participate in the event, and intermittent road closures will occur along the race route. Motorists are advised to allow for additional travel time and use alternate routes to avoid delays between 7 and 10 a.m.The following areas will be significantly impacted during the times indicated:
- Raleigh Road (7 to 10 a.m.) - Raleigh Road will be closed to all traffic between Country Club Road and U.S. 15/501.
- Franklin Street/Downtown Chapel Hill (7:15 to 8:45 a.m.) -Franklin Street will be closed at Estes Drive and Merritt Mill Road, with access provided only to residents that live between Estes Drive and Park Place.The eastbound lanes of Franklin Street between Graham Street and Columbus Street will be closed to all traffic. Traffic headed east from Carrboro should use eastbound Rosemary Street or southbound Merritt Mill Road. The westbound lanes of Franklin Street between Park Place and Graham Street will also be closed. All traffic from East Franklin Street is advised to use Estes Drive to Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, or Estes Drive to U.S. 15/501.
- Historic Rosemary (7:30-8:15 a.m.) -The following roads will be closed within the Historic Rosemary Neighborhood:
- North Boundary Street from Franklin Street to North Street;
- East Rosemary Street from Hillsborough Street to Glenburnie
- Glenburnie Street from Rosemary Street to North Street;
- North Street from Glenburnie Street to Hillsborough Street; and
- Hillsborough Street from North Street to Franklin Street.