RALEIGH TheN.C. Department of Transportationismodifying the intersection of U.S. 15-501 (Aberdeen Road) and N.C. 144 (Old Wire Road) north of Laurinburg to an all-way stop starting Wednesday, August 19. This will improve the safety for motorists driving through the Scotland County intersection, as the current route does not require vehicles on U.S. 15-501 to stop. The all-way stop traffic pattern is used along other routeswith similar traffic volumes. As a result, accidents have reduced; safety has increased and traffic backups have not been an issue.
Message boards alerting motorists of the coming change will be in place, and drivers are urged to use caution in the area during the installation and afterward.
The four-way stop is an interim traffic control setup for the intersection.In the near future, a roundabout is planned for installation at this location.
As drivers approach a four-way stop intersection, they are advised to follow these right of way rules:
- The first vehicle to the intersection has the right of way ahead of any vehicle that has not yet arrived;
- When two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of way;
- The vehicle with the right of way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn left or right;
- When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn left must yield. The driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right of way; and
- Even with the right of way, remember use appropriate turn signals and be aware of other vehicles and pedestrians.
For more information on navigating intersections, consult theNorth Carolina Driver's Handbook. To get a copy, call 1-877-DOT-4YOU or visitwww.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook.