- The N.C. Department of Transportation announced today that construction operations will soon resume on the Independence Boulevard widening project and the U.S. 29 bridges replacement project in Mecklenburg County. Lane Construction Corporation has been approved as the projects' replacement contractor after the former contractor defaulted in late January.
As part of the agreement, NCDOT will not pay more than the original bid for either contract, and the contract completion dates for each project do not change. NCDOT has been working with the former contractor's bonding company since early February to create and approve a replacement plan. During this time, Lane Construction has served as the interim contractor, monitoring traffic and erosion control on both projects.
NCDOT will meet with Lane Construction within the next week for pre-construction meetings on both projects. During these meetings, both NCDOT and the contractor will discuss construction plans moving forward, including the date when construction crews and subcontractors will return to the job sites.
U.S. 74 Widening Project (U-0209B):
- Description: Widening U.S. 74/Independence Boulevard from N.C. 24/27 (Albemarle Road) to east of Wallace Lane, creating an expressway with no traffic signals on U.S. 74between Harris Boulevard and Uptown.
- Contract Amount: $51.7 million
- Contract Completion Date: All work except reforestation by Oct. 15, 2016, with final completion April 13, 2017
Replacing the Bridges on U.S. 29 over Mallard Creek (B-4779):
- Description: Replacing the north- and southbound bridges on U.S. 29 over Mallard Creek in the university area
- Contract Amount: $4.4 million
- Contract Completion Date: All work except reforestation by Aug. 1, 2016, with final completion Jan. 27, 2017
For real-time travel information, call 511, visit the Traveler Services section of NCDOT.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.