This project involves constructing approximately 11 miles of second track along the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) corridor in Rowan County. A second track will allow trains to pass more frequently, reducing congestion, increasing capacity and reliability, and decreasing travel time between Raleigh and Charlotte. Additionally, the work will involve upgrading some railroad crossings and permanently closing others, extending Kimball Road from Main Street to Chapel Street, and constructing a bridge carrying the North Carolina Railroad tracks over Kimball Road. The project limits extend along U.S. 29 from Airport Road in Salisbury to 18th Street in Kannapolis.
This project is one of three that in total will add approximately 26 miles of new second track along the main line. These projects will provide an uninterrupted double track spanning 92 miles between Greensboro and Charlotte.
This section of the NCRR is part of the busiest railroad corridor in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- Grading and bridge contract was awarded in November 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- The new Kimball Road roadway extension is anticipated to be complete by late Summer 2016.
- Construction of the overall project is anticipated to be complete by Spring 2017.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Constructing 11 miles of second track between Salisbury and Kannapolis.
- Extending Kimball Road from Main Street to Chapel Street and constructing a two-track railroad bridge carrying NCRR tracks over Kimball Road.
- Upgrading the following railroad crossings:
- Webb Road (Salisbury)
- E. Church Street (China Grove)
- E. Centerview Street (China Grove)
- E. Ryder Avenue (Landis)
- E. 22nd Street (Kannapolis)
- E. 18th Street (Kannapolis)
- Permanently closing the following railroad crossings:
- Mount Hope Church Road (China Grove)
- E. Thom Street (China Gove)
- Eudy Road (China Grove)
- N. Central Avenue (Landis)
- E. Mill Street (Landis)
- E. 29th Street (Kannapolis)
Kelly Seitz, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 639-7567
- Address: 4770 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC 28417
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.