The Bonner Bridge replacement is being built in five zones. Construction will start at the south-end approach, north-end approach and navigation. Once the north and south approaches are complete, work will begin on the sections that will connect each end with the navigation zone (the high rise).
What to Expect During Construction
- There will be daytime lane closures on N.C. 12 beginning at 7 a.m. on Mondays until 3 p.m. on Fridays Sept. 16, 2016, through June 14, 2017, for the duration of construction.
- Daytime lane closures are not allowed from June 15, 2017, through Sept. 15, 2017; nighttime lane, however, closures are allowed Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning.
- One lane will remain open during lane closures; however, motorists should allow extra travel time. The open travel lane will not have any width restrictions for emergency vehicles.
- Short, nighttime road closures for up to 30 minutes for deliveries might be necessary with advanced notice. Closures will be timed to reduce travel impacts as much as possible.
- Lane closures also are restricted on certain days around holiday travel.
- The N.C. Department of Transportation is working with the U.S. Coast Guard and the local boating community to keep the public informed of construction activities and potential impacts to the navigation span at the existing bridge. Any impacts to navigation will be to ensure the safety of boaters and will be for short periods.