This project will involve constructing a new highway bridge carrying Caldwell Road over the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks in Cabarrus County. The bridge will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
The project is part of a series of improvements to the railroad corridor between Harrisburg and Charlotte, one of the busiest sections of railroad in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- The grading and bridge contract was awarded in June 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- The roadway and bridge are open to through traffic with only minor items remaining to be completed.
- The Town of Harrisburg has a website dedicated to keeping the public informed with current updates on this and other NCDOT projects in Harrisburg.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Replace the at-grade railroad crossing at Caldwell Road with a bridge carrying Caldwell Road over the NCRR tracks.
- Eliminate train horn noise.
- Provide roadway improvements to Caldwell Road and Harrisburg Park Industrial Drive.
E. Nat Hunter, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 845-1151
- Address: 12033 E. Independence Blvd., Matthews, NC 28105
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.