This project involved reconstructing existing tracks, realigning curves, adding a second set of tracks and constructing a new railroad bridge carrying the North Carolina Railroad tracks over Hopson Road in Wake County.
The improvements will help increase train speeds and reduce travel times for passenger service. The addition of a second track will allow passenger trains to pass slower freight trains, improving service reliability. The new bridge over Hopson Road will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
This project is among improvements to the North Carolina Railroad corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- Grading and bridge contract was awarded in December 2012.
- Construction was completed in July 2016
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Constructed a bridge carrying North Carolina Railroad tracks over Hopson Road.
- Realigned curves to improve track speeds and reduce travel times between Raleigh and Charlotte.
- Constructed a second track between I-40 and McCrimmon Parkway to reduce congestion and conflict between passenger and freight trains.
- Removed at-grade crossings at Hopson Road and Church Street in Morrisville.
- Extended Church Street to connect to Hopson Road.
Phillip Townsend, P.E.
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (919) 840-0914
- Address: 1576 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.