This project involves constructing a new highway bridge carrying Grier Road over the North Carolina Railroad (NCRR) tracks in Mecklenburg County. The new bridge will reduce the risk of automobile/train collisions, improve safety for automobile and rail passengers, and reduce automobile and train traffic congestion.
This project is part of a series of improvements to the Harrisburg to Charlotte rail corridor, one of the busiest sections of railroad in North Carolina. This project is among improvements to the NCRR corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte to increase railroad capacity, efficiency, and safety.
News and Updates
- The grading and bridge contract was awarded in June 2013.
- Project is currently under construction.
- The new bridge is anticipated to open to traffic in Spring 2016.
- Construction of the overall project is anticipated to be complete in Fall 2016.
- Currently, no recent news releases.
- Construct a bridge to extend Grier Road over the NCRR tracks.
- Close the at-grade crossing at Newell-Hickory Grove Road with the NCRR tracks.
- Provide roadway improvements to Old Concord Road, which includes raising Old Concord Road to meet the new intersection at Grier Road. Also, provide roadway improvements to Orr Road, Grierview Lane, Branch Hill Circle, Lauren Village Drive and Farmfield Lane.
E. Nat Hunter, PE
- Email: Contact Us
- Phone: (704) 845-1151
- Address: 12033 E. Independence Blvd., Matthews, NC 28105
Resources for Local Property Owners
In many cases, it is inevitable that a certain amount of private property must be acquired. The displacement of homes and businesses is minimized to the extent practicable. The following brochures will answer questions about this process.