Overall, the project involves replacing and rebuilding several bridges over I-85 to meet current design requirements and eliminate substandard clearances.
Work on the first section (I-3802A) in Cabarrus and Rowan counties includes:
- Widening the I-85 interchange with Dale Earnhardt Boulevard, modifying existing loops, building new loops and providing additional full-access intersections in the area
- Replacing the Lake Fisher Bridge on Brantley Road in Kannapolis
- Realigning Winecoff School Road in Concord and Kannapolis and eliminating the existing street-level railroad crossing
- Converting the existing interchange at U.S. 29/601 to a diverging diamond interchange, which allows two directions of traffic to temporarily cross to the left side of a road
Work on the second section (I-3802B) in Rowan County includes:
- Redesigning the U.S. 29/N.C. 152 interchange to increase traffic capacity, reduce delays and to accommodate the removal of the U.S. 29/U.S. 601 Connector with I-85
- Redesigning N.C. 152/I-85 interchange for better access from U.S. 29 to I-85
- Replace Daugherty Road, Pine Ridge Road, Lentz Road and N.C. 152 bridges over I-85.
- N.C. 152 bridges over U.S. 29 and North Carolina Railroad are scheduled to begin summer 2017
- I-85 median work is currently under construction along the corridor
- A new interchange “Old Beatty Ford” at mile marker 65 will be constructed with three bridges over I-85 and Cold Water Creek.
New Traffic Patterns for U.S. 29/N.C. 152 and I-85/N.C. 152 Interchanges
Beginning Aug. 12, 2017, a temporary traffic pattern will begin at the N.C. 152 and U.S. 29 interchange. As a result, the existing N.C. 152 westbound ramps and eastbound loop access to northbound U.S. 29/I-85 will close.
In addition, the ramp to east N.C. 152 from U.S. 29 will close. Drivers can access I-85 northbound from a new ramp located at the I-85/N.C. 152 interchange.
Once the traffic pattern is in place, U.S. 29 North Connector to I-85 northbound will permanently close. Both east and westbound N.C. 152 can be accessed via a loop ramp.