The following is a look ahead at planned construction activities on the N.C. 12 Rodanthe bridge between Feb. 28, 2022 and March 26, 2022
Please note that construction activities are dependent on equipment and weather and are subject to change.
Earthwork & Roadway
- Work Trestle - The work trestle along with two cranes and two crane platforms have been removed from the bridge. Hauling of work trestle components, crane components and specialty equipment to sites off the project are ongoing.
- All structural components of the bridge have been installed.
- Bridge Deck - Expansion joint installations and metal railing installation are ongoing.
- Bridge Deck Surface - Texturing the bridge deck driving surface is taking place at various locations on the structure. At times this activity may take place at night and on weekends.
- Under Bridge Utility - Installation of a hanger system and conduits for electric power lines and fiber optic cable will be taking place at various locations along the structure.
- Roadway - Driveway and drainage work will take place on NC 12 from the roundabout intersection north to the Pea Island Refuge Boundary.
Concrete curbing and paving for the roundabout have been completed. Concrete islands have been installed on the roadways that connect to the roundabout.
Grading and paving of the new parking lot at the very north end of the structure along with paving the final surface layer at the approach to the north end of the structure are anticipated to take place in early to mid-March.
Final grading of the roadway shoulders and slopes will take place along with seeding and mulching of these areas.
Final pavement markings on the structure and the roadway at the south end of the project are expected to take place in the middle of March.
Guardrail installation, signing and fencing are anticipated to take place at various locations throughout the project limits.
Daytime single lane closures may be necessary for the roadway work.
Overall Estimated Timeline