The following is a look ahead at planned construction activities on the N.C. 12 Rodanthe bridge between December 21, 2021 and January 26, 2021
Please note that construction activities are dependent on equipment and weather and are subject to change.
Earthwork & Roadway
- Work Trestle - A straddle platform and crane will remove the work trestle and dismantle cranes, platforms and specialty equipment.
- All structural components of the bridge have been installed.
- Bridge Deck - Expansion joint installations and metal railing work will take place.
- Bridge Deck Surface - Texturing the bridge deck driving surface will begin in January. This activity is anticipated to take place at night.
- Under Bridge Utility - Installation of a hanger system and controls for electric power lines and fiber optic cable will be taking place at various locations along the structure.
- Approach Slabs - Concrete paving work for the approach slabs at the north and south ends of the bridge will be underway.
- Roadway - Driveway and drainage work will take place on NC 12 from the roundabout intersection north to the Pea Island Refuge Boundary.
Concrete curbing and paving for the eastern portion of the roundabout will take place to complete the roundabout. Concrete islands are planned to be installed on the roadways that connect to the roundabout. Daytime single lane closures may be necessary for this work.
Grading and paving of the new parking lot at the very north end of the structure along with paving the final surface layer at the approaches to the structure are anticipated to take place in mid to late January.
Overall Estimated Timeline